My photo
I'm a wife, mom, and gestational surrogate. I've been blessed to be able to have 2 beautiful daughters of my own and 2 cute little surro babes for IPs. With the support of my WONDERFUL family and friends, I'm doing it again!! Follow me on my journey...

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

"Smooth seas don't make good sailors"

After our trip to Denver, we came back home to await the results...to be honest I wasn't concerned that anything would come back "abnormal" because I've always had good lab results. 
On Tuesday, the nurse from CCRM began emailing me my lab results and all was well until she emailed me my Vitamin D results and told me it was a bit low. They look for the "number" to be over 30 and mine was 18. Bummer to hear, but it wasn't a huge concern because they said I just needed to begin taking a daily OTC vitamin D supplement, along with a once weekly Rx for vitamin D, then in a few weeks they would recheck my levels. 
Later that afternoon, I got another email that said my liver enzymes were "elevated" and that they would not move forward with scheduling a transfer until I discussed the results with my doctor, here in Texas, and got a clearance letter from him stating he's okay with me carrying another pregnancy. I have to say, this was very alarming to me...what the hell does "elevated liver enzymes" mean and what can I do about it?? 
With those questions in mind, what do you think I did? What any other paranoid, semi-informed person would do, of course! I went to trusty ol' Google Search and WebMD. Maybe not the best idea, in hindsight. Google will have you thinking you're on your last leg and should start drafting your will asap. So of course, I worried myself sick about all the possibilities of what elevated liver enzymes could mean for me, but I managed to put aside my hypochondriac moment for a few seconds so that I could call my OB's office and schedule an appointment to go over my results. Thankfully they could get me in relatively quickly. I went to the appointment yesterday and my Dr wasn't even remotely concerned! He said that my levels were only a few points over the "norm" and that could be for any number of reasons; the only time he would become concerned is if the levels were in the triple digits (mine weren't even close). After he told me that, all I wanted to say was "can I get my $40 copay back", I mean, damn. I waited there for an hour and met with him for about 2 minutes just for him to kinda chuckle at the fact that CCRM is so strict. Seriously though, I was relieved that it was nothing, and I'd pay 100 copays to have good news like that, any day. His exact words were "you are the ideal patient to carry a pregnancy"...ah, music to my ears! 😊 
So, we're still on track and all I'm waiting on is for his staff to email me the clearance letter. In the meantime, the IPs are getting our contract drafted and we're getting this show on the road!! 
What I've learned is that no matter how much I *think* I know about this process and all of the hurdles that can come your way, I don't know everything and I'm not immune to the occasional curveball either. If everything always went perfectly, you'd never know how to overcome adversity!

No comments: