Have you ever gotten a question or comment so preposterous that you were in utter disbelief that a person could even fix their mouth to make those words come out?
Well normally I don't get these types of comments/questions, but here lately it seems that people, whether I know them or not, have some type of input about me being a surrogate or just surrogacy in general.
I typically let it roll off my back and don't even give dumb ass comments the time of day. But I thought I'd share some of these rather odd quotes with you.
*Don't get mad at me, I'm simply conveying to you the ignorance and/or sheer stupidity of some people*
I'll give you 10 that I can think of right off the bat, in no particular order.
10. "So, how do you think you will handle giving up your baby?"
Uhhh...listen up, it's not MY baby. And even if it were and I decided to give it up for adoption, what business is it of yours??
9. "What if the parents change their mind and don't want the baby anymore? Do you have to keep it?"
Do I REALLY need to acknowledge this? I mean really. Do you actually think that a person would go through all the trouble of finding a carrier, signing contracts, paying a crap-load of money, etc, just to say "eh, nevermind"?
8. "Dang! You must be gettin' PAAAAIIIIDDDD!"
You already know how I feel about this dumb ass comment...
7. "The parents must be rich. Are they celebrities?"
Yea, because only rich people can afford to have babies.
6. Co-worker: "Hey, Krystal, we're all going out after work for drinks, wanna come?"
Me: "Well I can't drink, but I'd be glad to get a Sprite or something"
Co-Worker: "Aw c'mon, a little alcohol won't hurt the baby. Besides, it's not yours anyway."
ARE YOU FU*KING KIDDING ME RIGHT NOW?! And, I'm 99% sure that this person was as serious as a heart attack with their comment.
5. (Same co-worker as #6) "I knew this lady that smoked cigarettes and drank sometimes while she was pregnant, baby was just fine. It's ok in moderation."
Ok, dude, seriously you must be on crack. I can't even listen to you at this point.
4. "So, uh, how dey do dat? You know, get da eggs in ya 'n stuff? Dey juss shoot 'em up dur and den you get pregnant?" "Shoo' I might needa do dat, cuz I ain't gone find me no woman no time soon."
Say what?! I'm sorry, were you just speaking English?
3. "Do you know the people you are carrying for?"
Nope, sure don't. I just went to the doctor and said "get me pregnant with a random person's baby, please and thank you."
2. "Are the parents excited?"
Of course not, they were actually hoping that none of the transfers worked and that all of their time and money went down the toilet. But now their style is gonna be cramped by having to tote a baby around everywhere.
1. "You must be a really nice person, gaining all that weight just for somebody else."
I'm sure there's more off the wall things that have been said to me, but these are the ones that have stuck in my mind so far. I guess tact is an acquired trait...